Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Buffalo and The Monkey

The Buffalo and The Monkey
Story from East Malaysia (Borneo)

            It was a very hot day. The monkey was walking by the riverside. He was very thirsty and hungry. He took some water and drank it, but he still very hungry. Then, he saw some banana trees across the river. Unfortunately, he did not know how to swim.
Monkey  : “The bananas on the other side looks very delicious. I want to eat that, but I can not               swim. What should I do?” (The monkey was thinking very hard)
Suddenly…
Monkey  : “Ahaa!”
The Monkey had an idea. Not far from him, the buffalo was drinking some water in the river. He came closer to the buffalo and told him his plan.
Monkey  : “Hello Buffalo! Can you help me to cross the river?”
Buffalo    : “All right. Jump on. I’ll swim across. There’s some very tasty grass on the other side   which I would like to eat.”
So, the monkey rode on the buffalo’s back across the river. When they reached the other side, the monkey jumped off.
Monkey  : “Yeay… there are a lot of bananas. This place is like a paradise.”
The monkey ran to the banana tree. He ate as many bananas as he could. The buffalo was quite happy eating the long grass.
Monkey  : “Ough… this is very delicious, nyam nyam nyam nyam nyam yummy.”
Buffalo    : “Yes, you’re right, Monkey. This place is like a paradise. I just want to eat, eat, eat,     and eat.”
After some time, the monkey wanted to return home. He asked the buffalo to take him back. But, the buffalo told him to wait a little longer as he had not yet finished eating.
Monkey  : “Buffalo! I know we can eat the delicious bananas and grass here, but I miss our         friends. I want to come back home. Do you also feel what I thought?”
Buffalo    : “Yes, of course. I miss our friends and I want to come back home. But I still eat the delicious grass. Please wait for two or three days again and we can come back to our home. Okay?”
Monkey  : “Oh, you’re so egoist.”
The naughty monkey left the buffalo. He began to sing. He made such a loud noise that a farmer, who was working in nearby field, came to see what was the matter. He shouted at the buffalo.
Monkey  : “Buffalo, you can’t refuse what I want. I will change your mind and we will come      back home today. Ehem…Come back home, can you come back home? Yeah..”
Farmer    : “Thief! Thief! Why are you eating my grass?”
The farmer threw some stones at the buffalo.
Buffalo    : “Oh my God, what should I do now? If I am still here, the farmer will kill me.”
The buffalo was confused.
Farmer    : “Go go go away, don’t come again or I will eat you.”
The farmer still threw some stones at the buffalo. The buffalo ran away because his head was injured. But under the tree, he slipped because the bananas peel that the monkey threw.
Buffalo    : “How poor I am.”
Farmer    : “Hahahaha, I catch you. My wife will happy if I bring you to my home. We can
                   eat you seven days seven nights.”
The farmer approached the buffalo.
Buffalo    : “Please, don’t eat me. If you let me go, I will give you repayment. I will help you to   plow your fields. You can just call me and I will come here to help you.”
The buffalo begged to the farmer.
Farmer    : “Ehm, okay I accept your offer. Come here on 14th each month.”
Buffalo    : “Oh, yes.”
Then, the farmer left the buffalo.When the farmer had gone, the monkey came out from the place he had been hiding. The buffalo was holding his sore head, he had been hit by a stone.
Buffalo    : “Oh, oh! Why did you make so much noise? If you had kept quiet, the farmer             wouldn’t have noticed me.”
Monkey  : “Eh, ehm, because….”
The monkey did not know what to say. The buffalo asked him to sit on his back to return across the river.
Buffalo    : “Come on, sit on my back. We will come back home.”
When they were half-way across, the buffalo said to the monkey.
Buffalo    : “I want to roll over and take a bath here.”
Monkey  : “Please don’t! I can’t swim.”
Buffalo    : “That’s not my fault. You like to sing and make a noise. I always like to roll over in the water. It’s so cool and pleasant and it will cure my headache.”
Without saying any more, he rolled over in the water.
Buffalo    : “Yuhuuuu, I like it. It’s so good.”
Luckily, the monkey was holding on tightly otherwise he would have drowned.
Monkey  : “When the buffalo ate  the grass, I sang a song that  made the farmer came and buffalo was injured. Now maybe the buffalo is angry with me and he want to injure me. Oh this is my mistake. I deserve this.”
The monkey regretted his fault. When they reached the other side, the monkey jumped down from the buffalo’s back. He was very wet and frightened.
Buffalo    : “Are you okay?”
Monkey  : “I’m sorry buffalo. I shall never give you any trouble again.”
The monkey promised to the buffalo.
Buffalo    : “I wish you will fulfill your promise. And one thing that you must remember, don’t    do like that to other friends.”
Monkey  : “Sure. Thank you buffalo, you’re so kind.”
Buffalo    : “Okay. As the God’s creatures, we have to forgive other creature’s mistake, right? If we live that way, we will live happily in this dangerous world.”
Monkey  : “Yes, you’re right, Buffalo. I learn many things from you. And I will help you to        plow the farmer’s fields.”
Buffalo    : “Sure.”
The monkey was very happy. After the accident, the buffalo always helped the farmer to plow the fields and the monkey helped the buffalo. The monkey and the buffalo became a best friend.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment